Sunday, October 01, 2006

Sunday, October 1, 2006 Parry Sound, ON to Mackinac City, MI



We drove 8hrs from Parry Sound to Mackinac today. It was a beautiful drive. The fall colors were outstanding and we skirted the edges of Georgian Bay. While we drove today, we finished listening to David Sedaris' "Naked" and started Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead." I've wanted Brett to read that for years, and finally have the opportunity. We listened to 8 of the 49 chapters today. It's a good thing we have lots of driving in front of us. Brett has no idea what he's in for! IPOD's are wonderful things!

We crossed the boarder back into the US at Sault St. Marie, nervous again because we had 4 apples, 1 bottle of wine, 2 tomatoes, and still an unregistered vehicle. The most daunting question we got this time from the boarder officer was "What is your profession, and is that pretty lucrative." That stumped me. I stammered as I thought of all the more lucrative professions I could have chosen, that "lucrative" is a relative term, and perhaps it was one of those questions that one just shouldn't answer. Brett cheerfully (surprise!) answered "Sure, it's OK."

We drove another hour to Mackinac, and set up CAMP! Yes, we're camping now and we have wireless. Life could not be much better than this. Campfire, beer, and wireless!!!

Happy Birthday to my friend Rachael today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel like I am travelling across the country, in the back seat of an Xterra.

- Chuck